Wyman Institute Update: August 24, 2003
- We are pleased to inform you that David Gelernter, professor of computer science at Yale University and chief scientist at Mirror Worlds Technologies, has joined the Advisory Committee of the Wyman Institute. His many acclaimed books include ‘Mirror Worlds: Or the Day Software Puts the Universe in a Shoebox… How It Will Happen and What It Will Mean’ (which was published in 1991 and foresaw the rise of the world wide web); ‘1939: The Lost World of the Fair’; ‘The Muse in the Machine: Computerizing the Poetry of Human Thought’; ‘Machine Beauty: Elegance and the Heart of Technology’; and ‘Drawing Life: Surviving the Unabomber.’
- Prof. David S. Wyman will speak on Sunday, November 9, 2003, at 7:00 pm, at the University of Texas at Dallas on “America and the Holocaust.” For further information, contact Debbie Fister at the U. of Texas Holocaust Studies Program: firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-906-8867.
- Academic Council member Prof. Laurel Leff contributed an essay titled “When the Facts Didn’t Speak for Themselves: The Holocaust in the New York Times, 1939-1945,” to the recent collection, ‘Why Didn’t the Press Shout? America and International Journalism During the Holocaust.’ (Ktav; ed. Robert M. Shapiro) Early next year, Cambridge University Press will publish Prof. Leff’s book, ‘The Silenced Scream: How the New York Times Muffled News of the Holocaust.’
- Academic Council member Prof. Myrna Goldenberg gave the keynote address at the Conference on Teaching Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Community Colleges, on August 10, at Queensborough Community College – The City University of New York. The title of her address was “The Importance of Teaching the Holocaust at Community Colleges.” She also recently coedited a book with Elizabeth Baer, ‘Experience and Expression: Women, the Nazis, and the Holocaust,’ published by Wayne State University Press.
- Academic Council member Dr. Efraim Zuroff reviewed ‘A Race Against Death: Peter Bergson, America, and the Holocaust,’ by David S. Wyman and Rafael Medoff, in the August 8 edition of the Jerusalem Post.
- The New York Jewish Week, in its July 25 issue, published an essay by Wyman Institute director Dr. Rafael Medoff marking the 60th anniversary of the Bergson group’s Emergency Conference to Save the Jewish People of Europe. An article about the death of Bob Hope, including several paragraphs quoting Dr. Medoff on Hope’s connection to the Bergson group, appeared in the Jewish Week’s August 1 issue. His full op-ed on Hope and Bergson appeared in the Canadian Jewish News on August 14 as well as many other newspapers.