The rabbis march from Union Station. The man in uniform is Dr. J.H. Gordon, National Commander of the Jewish Legion of Veterans.
To Gordon’s left, in the front row, are, from left to right,
Rabbis Eliezer Silver, Israel Rosenberg, and Bernard Levinthal.
Front row, far left, is Rabbi Nathan Baruch.
Two of the protesters.
Rabbi Avraham Kalmanowitz is at left.
Rabbi Wolf Gold reads aloud the rabbis’ petition, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
Vice President Henry Wallace (left) and Congressional leaders listen as
Rabbi Eliezer Silver reads the petition aloud. Behind Wallace, second from left,
is U.S. Representative Sam Rayburn (D-TX), Speaker of the House.
The Rabbis assembled
The rabbis are met on the steps of the Capitol by
Vice President Henry Wallace and Congressional leaders
On the steps of the Capitol, the Melitzer Rebbe (Rabbi Yitzchok Horowitz) leads the marchers in the recitation of “Kel Maleh Rachamim,” a memorial prayer for the Jews murdered by the Nazis.
The MelitzerRebbe, Rabbi Yitzchok Horowitz (seated in the middle, with white beard), in later years, with some of his students.
Rabbi Eliezer Silver of Cincinnati, president of the Va’ad Ha-Hatzala and co-president of the Union of Orthodox Rabbis of the United States, who was one of the leaders of the march
Rabbi Solomon M. Friedman (the Boyaner Rebbe), president of the Union of Grand Rabbis of the United States, who played a prominent role in the march
Rabbi Chaim Yitzhak Bloch, vice president of the Union of Orthodox Rabbis of the United States, who was one of the leaders of the march
Rabbi Baruch Rabinowitz, the Bergson group’s Washington D.C. representative, who helped organize the march.
Rabbi Israel Snow (1913-1961), who took part in the march. This photo was taken in the 1950s.
Peter Bergson (Hillel Kook), leader of the Emergency Committee to Save the Jewish People of Europe, which initiated and organized the march.
Rabbi Dr. I. Solomon Rosenberg [Shlomo-Israel Ben-Meir] (1910-1971)
Rabbi Mordechai Golinkin, seated in the middle, while serving on the Beth Din of Boston, circa 1970.