Wyman Institute Update: September 10, 2003
- We are pleased to inform you that Prof. Mark A. Raider has joined the Academic Council of the Wyman Institute. Prof. Raider is chair of the Judaic Studies Department at the University of Albany, as well as director of its Center for Jewish Studies and Associate Professor of Modern Jewish History. He is author of ‘The Emergence of American Zionism’ (NYU Press) and co-editor (with Miriam B. Raider-Roth) of ‘The Plough Woman: Records of the Pioneer Women of Palestine – A Critical Edition’ (University Press of New England).
- Academic Council member Dr. Rebecca Kook (Ben-Gurion University) spoke at the Evening to Honor the Memory of Hillel Kook (Peter Bergson), her father, in Jerusalem on August 28. An article about the event, “Remembering the Mission of a ‘Nuisance Diplomat’,” appeared in Ha’aretz on August 29 and can be found at:http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=334494&sw=Kook
- Academic Council member Prof. Alvin Rosenfeld (Indiana University) is the author of the new monograph “Anti-American and Anti-Semitism: A New Frontier of Bigotry,” published by the American Jewish Committee. It examines “the roots, growth and meaning” of these phenomena, and argues that the growing hatred of America “is but another form of Judeophobia.”To view the text, go to:
- Academic Council member Dr. Alex Grobman (Brenn Institute) was the keynote speaker at the Institute for Humanities in the Classroom and Community: An Interdisciplinary Holocaust Curriculum for Illinois Educators, in July 2003 at the University of Illinois.
- Academic Council member Prof. Peter Rose (Smith College) authored an op-ed, “Fallen Idol: The Truth about Harry Truman and the Jews,” in the August 16 issue of the Daily Hampshire Gazette.
- An article by Institute director Dr. Rafael Medoff, concerning the last-minute lobbying effort that narrowly averted President Roosevelt’s 1943 plan to issue a harsh declaration against Zionism, was published in the Five Towns Jewish Times (Long Island) and the Jewish Bulletin of Northern California. It can be viewed at: